Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Transporation’ Category

This picture originally belonged to Ethel Bertha (Freeman) Jones. Shared by Joanna Whitcomb.

This picture originally belonged to Ethel Bertha (Freeman) Jones. Shared by Joanna Whitcomb.

Traditionally this train  has been identified as the first passenger train in Hamilton.  The first train    in Hamilton was  a Stephenville North and South Texas train which arrived   25 December, 1907.  We do not know if the first train was  a passenger train.  The crossties in the foreground do not appear to have been installed into a track. — ECW

Building the SN&ST Depot. Shared by David Lenz.

Building the SN&ST Depot. Shared by David Lenz.

The SN & ST Railroad was chartered on 4 February, 1907, and the first train from Stephenville arrived in Hamilton on Christmas Day, 1907.  This picture was likely made prior to December 25, 1907.  The SN & ST Depot was located south of the the Smith-Harris Lumber Company which faced the current West Ross Street.  The depot appears to be between West Ross and West Henry Streets and between North Rice and North College Streets. The Courthouse is in the background. David’s grandmother, Bertha (Wilson) Lenz, had this picture in her things when she died. Her parents and maternal grandparents were early settlers of Jonesboro. — ECW

Read Full Post »