Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Leon River’

Today, I taken some pictures around Hamilton County for other features when I discovered these X’s hiding in the pictures. — Dee

Bullman Bridge

Bulman Bridge

The Bulman Bridge was located on the north side of the Leon River ten miles east of Hamilton near Rock House in the community named at various times Pulltight, Busyton, Snow Creek, Old Hamilton, and Rock Church. Rev. Henry Jefferson Bulman came to Hamilton County in 1871 where he bought a farm on the Leon River twelve miles east of Hamilton. The Bulman Bridge was named in his honor. The Bulman and other old bridges have been relocated to the Pecan Creek Park in Hamilton. — ECW

Taken at the Dutchman's Hidden Valley

Taken at the Dutchman's Hidden Valley.

See more
ABC Wednesday
or
ABC Wednesday Linky

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Evergreen, located eleven miles east of Hamilton on HWY 36, was an area of early settlement in Hamilton County on the south side of the Leon River. Originally this community was called Rail.

EVERGREEN METHODIST CHURCH

In the 1880’s and 1890’s the Evergreen Methodist Church was one of the strongest Methodist Churches in the county.

EVERGREEN SCHOOL

No. 16

In 1911, there were eight grades in the Evergreen School which was classified as a high school. In 1924 Miss Edrie Couth and Miss Ida Hyles were the teachers at Evergreen School and Hugh Brown, C. C. Nix, and Henry Bollier were on the school board. A. Dooley, principal; and Miss Mildred Roberts were teachers in this school in 1936.

EVERGREEN  REGISTERED VOTERS in 1937

1937 VOTING PRECINCT NO. 3…EVERGREEN (1)

A

Adams, R. A., Farmer, Hamilton, R1

B

Beacham, H. J., Farmer, Ireland, R1

Beacham, J. L., Farmer, Ireland, R1

Beacham, L. L., Farmer, Ireland, R1

Beacham, Mrs. M. C., Ireland, R1

Bennett, J. H., Farmer, Ireland, R1

Bollier, C. K., Farmer, Hamilton, R1

Bollier, Henry, Farmer, Hamilton, R1

Bollier, J. E., Farmer, Ireland, R1

Bollier, J. H., Farmer, Ireland, R1

Boyar, John F., Farmer, Hamilton, R1

C

Cozby, J. E., Farmer, Ireland, R1

E

Endebrock, A. H., Farmer, Hamilton, R1

Endebrock, Arthur, Farmer, Hamilton, R1

Endebrock, Henry, Farmer, Hamilton, R1

Evans, Arch, Farmer, Ireland

Evans, Miss Cora, Ireland, Texas

Evans, L. L., Farmer, Ireland, R1

F

Fisher, Otis, Farmer, Ireland, R1

Franks, R. P., Farmer, Ireland, R1

G

Goerdel, A. A., Farmer, Hamilton, R1

Goerdel, Ernest, Farmer, Hamilton, R1

Gromatzky, Gilbert, Farmer, Hamilton, R1

H

Henderson, Alvis, Farmer, Hamilton, R1

Henderson, Miss Faye, Hamilton, R1

Henderson, L. S., Farmer, Hamilton, R1

Hill, R. Q., Farmer, Ireland, R1

Hinson, Mrs. W. D., Hamilton, R1

J

Johnson, E. C., Farmer, Ireland, R1

Johnson, J. A., Farmer, Ireland, R1

Jones, C. R., Farmer, Ireland, R1

Jones, W. D., Farmer, Hamilton, R1

K

Klatt, A. F., Farmer, Hamilton, R1

Klatt, C. F., Farmer, Hamilton, R1

L

Limmer, F. H., Farmer, Ireland, R1

M

Massingill, G. R., Farmer, Ireland, R1

Maxwell, James S., Farmer, Ireland, R1

Maxwell, M. G., Farmer, Ireland, R1

McFarland, J. J., Farmer, Ireland, R2

Moore, Bryan, Farmer, Ireland

Moore, G. L., Farmer, Hamilton, R1

Moore, Guy, Farmer, Ireland

Moore, O. C., Farmer, Ireland, R1

Moore, O. R., Farmer, Ireland, R1

N

Nix, Mrs. Cora, Hamilton, R1

Nix, Layton, Farmer, Ireland, R1

O

Overcash, O. W., Farmer, Ireland, R1

S

Sargent, D. P., Ireland, R2

Schrank, A. W., Farmer, Hamilton, R1

Spitzenberger, C., Farmer, Ireland

Stanke, B. C., Farmer, Ireland, R1

W

West, C. W., Farmer, Hamilton, R1

West, K. W., Farmer, Hamilton, R1

White, E. L., Farmer, Hamilton, R1

White, J. S., Farmer, Hamilton, R1

White, S. E., Merchant, Ireland, R1

White, W. M., Farmer, Ireland, R1

Williamson, Mark, Farmer, Ireland, R1

Source: (1) From: “Hamilton County [TX] Business Guide and Directory” First Edition, August 1, 1937

Read Full Post »

The Leon River Flooded in 1942 North of Hamilton on the Old US 281 Bridge. JOSEPH THEODORE 'TED" CHESLEY'S HAMILTON COUNTY ALBUM.  Shared by Bob Chesley

The Leon River Flooded in 1942 North of Hamilton on the Old US 281 Bridge. Orignally in Joseph Theodore "Ted" Chesley's Hamilton " County Album. Source: Bob Chesley

The Leon River meanders across Hamilton County from Gentrys Mill to Providence to Rock House to Jonesboro as it winds from Eastland County to Bell County. During floods, the Leon become a mighty river as it inundates much farmland. The Leon River extends from Cisco in Eastland County, through Comanche, Hamilton, and Coryell Counties to reach Lake Belton in Bell County.

The Leon River heads in Eastland County, comes into Hamilton County below Lamkin, runs through the Bob Shockley farm. The old Stephenville road crosses it on Mrs. Hobdy Mann’s pecan grove. Highway 66 (US 281) crosses it six miles north of Hamilton at the old Hico bridge. Highway 22 crosses it near Ed Perry’s farm and orchard on the Cranfills Gap road. Highway 36 crosses it at the new Jonesboro bridge. (This bridge has been replaced with a higher bridge south of the one referred to in this article.) It goes into Coryell County at the old Jonesboro bridge, through Gatesville, and between Temple and Belton meets the Lampasas and Salou, and the three form Little River which finally empties into the Brazos. Indians named the Leon.”–Doris LaRue Stapleton and Capt. C. E. Horton.

“LEON RIVER.” The Handbook of Texas Online

Read Full Post »

CREATION OF HAMILTON COUNTY

by the Seventh Legislative Session of the State of Texas

22 January, 1858 Section 9

The following limits, towit: Beginning at the North west corner of Bosque county, on the South line of Erath county; thence with said South line, South 60 degrees West, to the South west corner of Erath county; thence 20 East, six miles; thence South 60 West to the East line of Brown county; thence south 30 East to a point South 60 West from the North west corner of Coryell county; thence North 60 East to the North west corner of Coryell county; thence following the North line of Coryell and the West line of Bosque county to the beginning shall constitute the county of Hamilton, named in honor of the late Gen. James Hamilton. The county seat thereof shall bear the same name.

Hamilton County, located in Central Texas, is actually the second county named Hamilton in Texas; however, it is the only Hamilton County to be organized as such. Both counties were named to honor Gen. James Hamilton for his participation in the financial support of the Republic of Texas. Read about James Hamilton in the Texas Handbook Online.

The First Hamilton County

The first Hamilton County was created 2 February, 1842, by the Sixth Congress of the Republic of Texas. The Sixth Congress passed an act to divide Montgomery and Houston Counties in southeast Texas so that two additional counties would be created for “judicial and other purposes.” “It included the north half of what is now Walker County, the east portion of Madison County, and parts of Houston, Trinity, and Polk counties; Cincinnati was made the county seat. Hamilton County was abolished by the Spring Session of the Texas Supreme Court in the Stockton v. Montgomery decision which declared judicial counties created by the Texas Congress were unconstitutional.”- -Oran Jo Pool, Nov. 19, 1954 (Hamilton County Judical)

The Second Hamilton County

Hamilton County in the Handbook of Texas On-line

Sixteen years later, on January 22, 1858, what is now Hamilton County was sliced from Comanche, Bosque, and Lampasas Counties by the Legislature of the State of Texas. The county was organized August 2, 1858, and the county seat of Hamilton was soon surveyed. Only one family, the Ezekiel “Zeke” Manning family, lived at the site selected for the town of Hamilton. Mrs. Manning was the first white woman ever to spend a night in Hamilton. The Mannings from Perry County, MO, had arrived in 1855 in an ox cart and initially camped at the site now occupied by St. Mary’s Episcopal Church. Mr. Manning built a “tavern” on the southwest corner of the square (now the at the intersection of HWY 281 and HWY 36. The square had not been laid off, and there was a big chaparral thicket where the courthouse now stands. Mr. Manning helped organize the county of which he was the first sheriff being appointed by Governor Sam Houston. Also appointed were:

The first elected county officials on 2 August, 1858, were:

  • Chief Justice (County Judge)–James Monroe Rice
  • Sheriff–Ezekiel Manning
  • County Treasurer–Jesse Jones Griffith
  • Assessor and Collector–R. B. Griffith
  • County Clerk–Isaac Skelton Standefer.
  • County Commissioners–Henry C. Standefer and Noah Crisco

Isaac Standefer issued the first marriage license in Hamilton County to Joel Baggett and Emily J. Ferrell.

Most of the inhabitants of the new county lived on the Leon River near what is now known as the Evergreen and or the Pulltight community and they wanted the county seat to be located at the site of the future Rock House near the Leon River. Fear of losing Priddy, Center City, and the western part of the county contributed to the acceptance of a more centrally located site. In creating Hamilton County, the Texas Legislature had stipulated that both the county and the county seat would be named Hamilton, and that the town of Hamilton would be within five miles of the geographic center of the county.

M. McIlhaney offered sixty acres of land “beginning at a point where the Burch hotel now stands and extending to the F. C. Williams home, and from the Presbyterian Church street [College Street–across the street from and south of St. Mary’s Episcopal Church] to where the railroad tract now runs on the east [Railroad Street.] This was the edge of the timberland, and the beginning of the prairie.”

Severe droughts in 1856 and in 1858 increased the hardships and dangers faced by the first brave souls who ventured into the soon-to-be Hamilton County. A smallpox epidemic in 1863 took the lives of many early pioneers. In 1877 frosts occurred every month with the exception of July and August. The frost on 10 June, 1877, killed all of the corn crops. There was no rain in Hamilton County in 1886, and none in 1887 until August. The years of 1917, 1918, and 1950 also brought a drought to Hamilton County. The drought of the 1950’s was broken with the flood in Hamilton on May, 1957.

By 1871 residents on the Leon River were pressing for the county seat to be moved to the Leon River. On 31 January, 1871, a petition was sent to the state legislature on behalf of both the county and the town of Hamilton to leave the county seat where it was. If the county seat were moved, it would have been ten miles from the center of the county instead of four miles north of the county’s midpoint.

Also in 1871–July 17, that the first District Court was organized in Hamilton County. J. P. Ousterhout, was the first Judge of the 34th Judicial District. James B. Boyd was district attorney; Isaac Hollingsworth Steen was district clerk, and Capt. Frederick Browder Gentry was foreman of the grand jury.

Dangers from Indian attacks prevailed through the 1870’s.

In 1881 the residents of Hamilton County learned that the State Legislature was considering forming a new county from the counties of Hamilton, Lampasas, Comanche, and Brown. Both the Commissioners Court and the citizens of the county sent petitions opposing the loss of any Hamilton County land to a new county. Despite the protests Mills County was organized 15 March, 1887, from the above named counties. Before Mills County was formed, the citizens of the southern portion of Hamilton County had become disgruntled with being so far from the countyseat. After the courthouse burned 2 February, 1886, these citizens petitioned for an election to consider relocating the countyseat to “Pegtown,” a proposed town eight miles south of Hamilton near Shive. To preserve Hamilton as the countyseat of Hamilton County, the Commissioners Court negotiated with the residents along the southern border of the county to move the Hamilton County line north seven miles from Sims Creek south of Center City to McGirk.

Read Full Post »